I’m a sucker for a good breakfast.
I love breakfast, and I also love to entertain guests. When I have overnight guests I like to make them a special breakfast. Now, if you know me, you know I like things that LOOK like they took a lot of effort, when in reality they are dead simple. This recipe is one of those. It looks like you slaved, when in fact you could sleep in and still have time to get this yummy dish on the table! This recipe serves 6 people, but it could easily feed 4 very hungry people or as many as 12 as a brunch buffet nibble. This and a glass of champagne with a splash of orange juice? Heaven!
Once again, I was invited by Kerrygold try out some of their grass fed cheeses and butters. They sent me a care package in exchange for two blog posts that featured their products*. The theme for this recipe is breakfast! As stated above, I love all things breakfast. The idea behind this recipe was my mom’s quiche. Growing up she would make her bacon and cheese quiche for special occasions – birthdays, holidays, and to celebrate milestones. Thinking back on that, she went to a LOT of trouble, and as I also stated above, I am lazy. So, I took all the best flavors of her quiche and layered them on crispy toasts. These are easy to prepare – less than 30 minutes with a little bread and cheese slicing prep the night before – and they taste like butter soaked, melty cheese, creamy egg heaven sprinkled with bacon! If you want to make these before guests arrive/wake up they keep well in a warm oven for about 30 minutes. Any longer and the eggs will get rubbery.
- 24¼-inch slices of baguette or sourdough
- 3 tablespoons Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter, melted
- 24 thin slices Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- Heat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the baguette slices on the parchment lined baking sheet. Brush each with with the melted Kerrygold Garlic & Herb butter, and top each with a slice of the Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling but not browned.
- While the cheese melts heat the Kerrygold Salted Butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. In a medium bowl whisk together the beaten egg and heavy cream. Once the butter foams add the eggs to the pan. Allow to set for 10 seconds then turn the heat down to medium-low and stir the eggs constantly until the eggs form creamy curds. Remove from the heat.
- Once the bread is ready top each slice with a heaping tablespoon of scrambled egg. Garnish each slice with chopped bacon. Serve immediately, or if making ahead these will keep in a warm oven for 30 minutes.
Evil Shenanigans Product Review Policy and Disclosure– Kerrygold has provided me with a variety of cheeses and butters at no cost to me, and my participation in this promotion has entered me into a prize drawing, but I did not accept monetary compensation for reviewing or writing about their products. Any opinion expressed is my own and is not influenced in any way by the manufacturer/PR firm. I only review/promote products that I have personally tested and endorse.