I’m not sure there is anything better than carbs and cheese.
Seriously, they are the perfect union, and when I am hosting a party, having a BBQ, or invited over to a friends for dinner I always like to bring the carbs and cheese goodness. Also dessert. I’m an overachiever. Anyway, I have been working with Kerrygold to develop some recipes over the last year, and this month they wanted my very best side dish. Easy. Carbs and cheese! In this case the carbs are in the form of tri-colored baby potatoes covered in a creamy cheese sauce. Think of it as lazy persons super cheater version of potatoes au gratin.
I love tri-colored baby potatoes. They are cute, festive, and perfect for salads or simply roasting. For this dish you can really use any waxy potato you like. A russet would also work, but it won’t hold its shape as well after roasting. It is also less technicolor wonderful. The sauce is basically a homemade ranch dip featuring dry dill, garlic powder, and onion powder. I also tossed in some crushed red pepper because I like to keep it spicy! You can serve this dish hot, warm, or room temperature so it is good year round. I will say, Mr. Shenanigans even likes it cold. Like eating it with a fork from the fridge cold. Whatever floats your boat. I don’t judge. While I did use the Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese for this recipe, you could use any cheese you like. I feel like the Kerrygold Aged Cheddar would also work well here. Play with it. It is carbs and cheese after all. There aren’t that many rules.
- 1 pound tri-colored baby potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 7 ounces Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, grated
- ½ cup sour cream, plus more to garnish
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons dry dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
- Fresh chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a 9x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium pot add the potatoes and add enough water to cover. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine ¾ of the grated cheese, ½ cup sour cream, cream cheese, butter, dill, salt, onion powder. garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Mix until everything is well combined then add the potatoes and fold to coat. Add the bacon and mix to combine.
- Pour the potato mixture into the prepared pan and spread so the potatoes are even. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the potatoes are fork tender. Cook for at least 5 minutes before garnishing with chives and serving with extra sour cream.
Evil Shenanigans Product Review Policy and Disclosure– Kerrygold has provided me with a variety of cheeses and butters at no cost to me, and my participation in this promotion has entered me into a prize drawing, but I did not accept monetary compensation for reviewing or writing about their products. Any opinion expressed is my own and is not influenced in any way by the manufacturer/PR firm. I only review/promote products that I have personally tested and endorse.
© 2015 – 2016, Evil Shenanigans. All rights reserved.