I’ve made a new friend and become addicted to Chai Hot Chocolate.
At my new part-time job I have become pretty good friends with my cubicle mate, Ms. T. It is a handy thing since we sit right next to one another two and a half days a week. She is a creative person who is always looking for ways to liven up the work day. One of the nifty things Ms. T has taught me is how to use the office coffee machine to make some fun drinks. Basically you use the latte setting but rather than use coffee and foam you use tea and either coffee, foam, or hot chocolate. I decided to combine the Chai tea pack with hot chocolate. It was AWESOME! It was so good I started to obsess a little about spice and chocolate on the days I was not in the office, and then I started to crave cookies. I think you see where this is going.
The spice mix in these cookies is not true Chai since it is missing the pepper. I just wanted the essence of Chai, so I borrowed some of the aromatic spices for these cookies. These are perfect for cooler weather, with a cup of steaming hot coffee or even hot chocolate, but I can see eating these any time of the year. I added a little chopped pecan to these to compliment the spices. If you wanted you could increase the nuts to a full cup, or use chopped walnuts, or just add more chocolate. That is a decision I can ALWAYS get behind. These keep very well at room temperature in an air tight container for three days, or freeze them for up to three months.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup butter, slightly softened but not greasy
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 - 12 ounce bag semi sweet-chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and all spice. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, add the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on medium low speed until the butter and sugar are well mixed but not fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well before adding the next, about 30 seconds each. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined, about 20 seconds. Add the chocolate chips and chopped pecans and stir until evenly distributed, about 20 seconds.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets by rounded tablespoons at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are just golden brown on the top. Cool on the pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
© 2013 – 2014, Evil Shenanigans. All rights reserved.